When plaque and calculus build up on your teeth, bacteria can get trapped, resulting in gum disease. For mild cases, improving your oral hygiene routine and coming for regular scaling and polishing can help to alleviate the condition. However, if your condition is severe, your dentist may suggest gum treatment or even gum surgery.
Gum infection (periodontitis) causes a pocket to form between the roots’ surface and the gums. Plaque and calculus get stuck inside these pockets, causing further infection and gum loss.
Healthy gums should be pink and firm. If you have gum disease, you may notice the following signs instead:
- Gums are red and swollen
- Bleeding when you brush or floss
- Receding gum line
- Permanent teeth becoming shakier
- Gums feel more tender, especially when eating or chewing
- Persistent bad breath
- Pus discharge
- New spaces developing between your teeth
Sometimes, gum disease may not present with noticeable symptoms. During your regular dental check-ups, your dentist will examine your gums more thoroughly for any signs of gum disease. To ensure your gums are healthy, come down to your nearest Advanced Dental clinic in Singapore for a check-up today!
Healthy gums begin with healthy habits at home! Here are some tips you can follow to keep your gums in the pink of health.
- Brush your teeth and gums twice a day with a soft toothbrush
- Floss at least once a day
- Replace your tooth brush every 3 months to prevent bacterial build up and ensure that the bristles remain effective.
On top of these daily habits, you should also visit your dentist every 6 months for a routine check-up and cleaning.
Flexible payment plans of up to 24 months are available.
For more information on our flexible payment plans, please click here.
All prices quoted are before GST. 7% GST is payable at selected clinics and will be added to the charges.